Wednesday 17 August 2011

For Shaune

I was thinking about how since the kids came along we’ve had about two hours alone. For one of those hours we took turns picking lice out of each other’s hair, remember?

I was thinking about how no matter what, the kids come first now. How before they took over, I used to iron your shirts for work every morning. Back then, we wouldn’t dream of sitting on separate couches to watch a show on TV.

I was thinking about all those apartments we shared; just me, you and the dog. How we used to sleep in on Sundays and always went out for breakfast. How you used to be the only person I worried about back then.

I was thinking about all those dinners in restaurants, some fancy, some not. How we ate slower, talked about stuff, drank wine. I was thinking about how we never discussed getting married all those years. That we sort of rolled along, best friends, partners with ups and downs.

And I was thinking about our no-frills backyard wedding. Wondering if I would do it differently if I had the chance. How nice it was that when it was over, it was over. No debt, no fuss. I was thinking about how we saw eye-to-eye on it. No squabbling. One of those important things we quietly agreed on.

I like that about us, you know.

We’re not the same as we used to be. In some ways we’re better. This family we’ve created is everything to me.

I was thinking about how odd it is to tell people we're celebrating our third wedding anniversary. When we’ve been working on this for 14 years.

I was thinking about us and all of this today.

And I wanted to say happy anniversary.


17 comments:

  1. You are such a cute couple!! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw :-) How sweet this was!! Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! We did the simple wedding too. Sure makes for happy, debt-free memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww!! I love it. Happy Anniversary to you both! I love these glimpses into your life. You've woven such a beautiful life. And made some pretty darned cute kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet tribute to your husband. Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice, make sure he gets a printed copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy blessed and wonderful anniversary to both of you. Enjoy each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AW - how sweet and how times change when children bless our lives. ;) Beautiful pictures. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary from the Manns who are living in a parallel universe! :) Our lives are so different since the boys came.
    We have been together since 1998, but only married since 2004. Of course Doug says it seems like we have been together for 30 years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy wedding anniversary! I'm shedding happy tears! I love the no wedding photo...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post...I think that despite the kids taking precedence it's very clear you know exactly what your priorities are and it is your family as a whole.

    And I just have to say that you are a superstar for ironing your husband's shirts. I've never done that and probably never will. :)

    Oh, and Happy Anniversary! You are beautiful, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Kim-you two are amazing! Happy Anniversary from me too, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sooo sweet. What a handsome couple and your writing is touching as always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that was a beautiful tribute! you and shaune are made for eachother!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was great. Happy wedding anniversary. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    T Rex Dad and I often talk about our kid-free days. They seem so long ago and actually we were married much longer than we've been parents but honestly, the fun really began once T Rex was born. It does change a person. But sometimes, just sometimes, I miss laying in bed all day watching the history channel. (But only a little.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy, happy, happy, happy anniversary!!! You guys are an amazing couple. I see the love in your eyes in all the photos. What a lovely tribute. Wishing you many, many more years of love, happiness, peace and laughter!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!