Saturday 27 August 2011

What we did today

When I was a kid I wasn't adventurous. Or fearless. It always irritated me when an adult insisted I try something just because everybody else was doing it. I was bookish, quiet, and continually trying to perfect the art of blending into the background. And even in my pre-kid adult life, I found it maddening when anyone demand that I join in  on something - waterskiing say - when it was the last thing I wanted to do.

And yet there I was today, bribing, cajoling and finally sweet-talking Deaglan into running through the water at the splashpad. Parenting comes with it the need to make sure your child is having fun at all costs. Even if they don't think it's fun.

We were at the park for an hour, climbing the jungle gym, swinging and spinning, all the while I was pointing to the splashpad side, directing Deaglan's attention to the fun, the wet-squealing kids were having.

"I don't want to get wet Mommy." he said bluntly.

"But it's so hot out here, c'mon, I'll even get wet."

"Nope. Can you push me on the swing now?"

"Okay, I guess Naveen and I will go over and have fun then."

It went like this for another forty minutes and finally he agreed to see what all the fuss was about.

 See? I told him he'd have fun...maybe I need to make some phone calls to some of those adults who kept insisting I try stuff...

 And this guy went for his first haircut today. For Deaglan's first few haircuts we took him to the fancy kid salon (read overpriced so the kid could sit in a helicopter and watch Dora while they snipped). I figured since soon enough they'll both join their Dad and the rest of the male population at First Choice, I might as well make the introductions now.


 I forgot about those ears.

And could you not just nibble that neck right now?

I love Saturdays.

15 comments:

  1. Saturday's rock! I love the pics! I'm not sure how, but your boys keep getting cuter and cuter (which I didn't think could be possible considering how absolutely adorable they have always been!). I wish they'd had splashpads when my boys were small...I took a friend's 3yr old daughter to one a few weeks ago...it was amazing! I'm not adventurous either, but I've always tried to encourage my boys to be...and yes, that included some bribing too! Now, Joel (16) is talking about wanting to go skydiving next summer with his uncle! I'm now regretting that I'd encouraged this adventurous behaviour!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sheer ecstasy on Deaglan's face running through the water. And what a sweet little Naveen getting his hair cut.

    We brace the neighborhood when T Rex needs his hair cut. We do it outside and everyone can hear him yelling, "I'm a little bit sad, I'm a little bit sad."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like he just a horrible time getting wet lool j/k those are some beautiful ears..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was like you as a child :)
    What fun the splashpad looks! Great pictures.
    And your baby's first big boy cut? Did you shed some tears?
    Sweet post, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was such a quiet, shy kid and I didn't want Maya to be like that so I totally push her to try everything! And she is fearless and I am so grateful that she is the opposite of me.

    Your sons look just like you. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was such a quiet, shy kid and I didn't want Maya to be like that so I totally push her to try everything! And she is fearless and I am so grateful that she is the opposite of me.

    Your sons look just like you. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still like that as an adult, refusing to try things and when I finally do end up having a good time! And your baby is so dapper with his new haircut! Mine gets his cut every other month and hates it. He cries before we even make it in the door!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for both of your big boys!! Deaglan taking the leap to find out that those sprinklers ARE fun and Naveen for getting his first cut like a champ. Yay for you too, they are truly beautiful little boys. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with the pics off Deaglan running through the splash pad! Naveen is looking very baby GQ with his haircut. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I'm glad we finally played in the water. I would have been all over that in this awful heat we're having here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sat next to a crying kid for my last hair cut. They kept bribing him with lollipops but the screaming continued. Maybe a hellicopter and Dora would have helped. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Precious haircut! B got the overpriced 1st haircute, and b got the regular salon - our poor neglected second kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hated cutting off those sweet curls on the boys when it was time for their first haircuts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How do you handle all those handsome young men in your house??? Well as the beautiful queen I bet they feel honored to have you as the heart of their home.

    Fun pictures!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!